- Non Renewable
Electricity is regulated through the BERA Act of 2016 in conjunction with
the Electricity Supply Act and the Botswana Power Corporation Act.
And covers generation, transmission, distribution and sale of
Currently, the industry is vertically integrated however the
government has laid down initiatives in its strategy to ensure
introduction of IPP’s and citizen participation through various
generation means. BERA shall ensure implementation of these initiatives
in order for the country to achieve its goal of being energy secure
and net exporter by 2036.
Licensing of Electricity sector activities
The following activities are licensed under the Electricity Sector as per 35 of the Act;
- Generation and co-generation of electricity and heat.
- Operation of a transmission system.
- Single buyer of electricity.
- Operation of a distribution system.
- Owning of transmission works.
- Owning of a distribution network.
- Sell electricity to customers and consumers.
- Exportation or importation of electricity.
- Any installation where single or aggregate capacity exceeds 100kW.