- Environmental friendly
- The future
Renewable energy refers to bio-energy, solar energy,
wind energy and any other as may be specified by the Authority.
Renewable sources of energy are no longer viewed as alternative
sources of energy but as the real future where all should be given their clean
nature, replaceability, availability in vast amounts (e.g. solar in Botswana)
and the fact that Botswana wants to utilize green technology as much as possible.
Whilst there are a handful of players in this space, this is seen to be one of
the growing sectors and BERA would like to encourage IPP’s, potential investors
and Batswana in general to uplift the use of these energy sources in order to
reduce the greenhouse effects for preservation of our planet. It is envisaged that
by 2030 at least 18% of Botswana’s power will be generated from renewables, however as
BERA it is in our interest for us to see our country reaching this goal earlier and
even surpassing it by the set target date.
Licensed activities in Renewable energy
The following activities are licensed under the Renewable energy;
- Generation and co-generation of electricity and heat.
- Operation of a transmission system.
- Single buyer of electricity.
- Operation of a distribution system.
- Owning of transmission works.
- Owning of a distribution network.
- Sell electricity to customers and consumers.
- Exportation or importation of electricity.
- Any installation where single or aggregate capacity exceeds 100kW.