- Fossil fuel
- Non Renewable
- Greenhouse effect
As defined at Section 2 of the BERA Act, Petroleum Products in this context means; oil,
petrol, paraffin, liquified petroleum gas (LPG), diesel and any other product as may be
specified by BERA.
The petroleum industry in Botswana has been in existence for many years. Prior to the
BERA Act most of these products were partially regulated by the Department of Energy
with the main focus on price regulation.
According to the BERA Act licensing is required for any person that;
- Undertakes commercial activities relating to the petroleum and gas sector.
- Has a storage facility for regulated products exceeding 30,000L (including for own use).
- constructs petroleum and gas infrastructure.
Licensed activities under Petroleum
The following activities are licensed under the Petroleum and Gas Sector as per 37 of the Act;
- Construction and operation of pipelines.
- Storage and operation of storage facilities.
- Operation of loading or discharge facilities.
- Operation of retail service stations.
- Manufacturing of products.
- Transportation of products.
- Importation and exportation of products.